Weight Loss Tips: Carb Cycling & HIIT
Hey Nourish community,
Dr. Christina Martinez here! I’m excited to share some weight loss tips with you this month, just in time for the New Year!
One great tool for weight loss is Carb Cycling + HIIT (high-intensity interval training). If you are struggling to lose weight, it could be just the thing to boost your metabolism and balance metabolic hormones.
Be sure to talk to your doctor before you start a HIIT exercise program, especially if any of the following apply to you: Adrenal Fatigue, Heart Disease, Diabetes, Kidney disease, or injuries.
- 5 days per week of no carb/low carb (max 20-50grams)
- 2 days per week of high carb (make sure high-carb days are evenly spaced out throughout the week, not consecutive days!)
On the no carb/low carb days:
- .2-.5 grams of carbs x your bodyweight
- 1 gram of protein x your bodyweight
- 1-.2 grams of fat x your bodyweight
On high carb days:
- 1 gram of carbs x your bodyweight
- .75 grams of protein x your bodyweight
- As little fat as possible
If the above macro percentages aren’t working to lose weight, make sure you track your calories and are staying in a calorie deficit of 500 calories.
HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training):
Each week, aim for three 15-minute HIIT Workouts. There are so many great options for HIIT workouts online. You can even lookup 15-minute HIIT workouts on YouTube and pick one that you like!
Remember to work your way up.. you can rest more than what is "scheduled" in the workout if you need to. You will improve little by little.
You are welcome to do any other exercise you enjoy like walking, yoga, etc as long as you are doing your three 15-minute HIIT work-outs per week.
** If HIIT causes depletion or if you feel worse later in the day or the day after, please stop and consult your doctor.
These tips are a great guideline in general but are crucial in your weight loss journey:
- Don’t skip meals! (unless you are doing a specific intermittent fasting plan)
- Eat plenty of vegetables daily
- Focus on whole foods
- Make sure to avoid any food sensitivities
- Follow any Nourish Diet Guidelines as to what you can/cannot eat
- Get plenty of sleep
- Hydrate sufficiently on a daily basis
Also, like everything else, there is no ONE solution for everyone. If you are not seeing any results after a few weeks, talk to your doctor about possible impediments to weight loss or other possible weight loss options.
Dr. Christina Martinez
This Saturday, December 18th at 3 PM, we are hosting a Nourish Connections WORKSHOP for our parent members. We will be joined by a special guest, Nourish’s own Dr. Nastaha Monterey, to discuss Hormone Empowering Performance: Working with your Cycle for Optimal Performance and Balance.
This workshop will be a great opportunity to ask any and all your questions about HORMONES!