Dr. Elana Roumell (Formerly Dr. Gelman)
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Owner and Founder
Credentials, Education & Achievements:
- Licensed by the State of California Naturopathic Medicine Committee
- Residency, Family Medicine at University of Bridgeport Naturopathic Medical Center
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine with High Academic Achievement, Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Bachelor of Science in Whole Foods Nutrition & Health Psychology, Bastyr University
- Advanced Classical Homeopathy Training, The Canadian Academy of Homeopathy
- Professor of Masters Nutrition Courses, The University of Bridgeport Masters of Science Human Nutrition
- Member of:
• California Naturopathic Doctors Association
• Pediatric Association of Naturopathic Physicians
• National Center for Homeopathy
Why I become a doctor?
- When I was just 9 years old, my little brother Joshua tragically passed of sudden death asthma. My brother had suffered his entire childhood battling food allergies, eczema, chronic ear infections, and asthma. Conventional medicine was not able to save my brother’s life and my parents felt helpless. I believed there had to have been a better solution to prevent his death! At a young age I grew curious and immersed myself in everything related to health that I could get my hands on. I decided at that point that I was going to dedicate my life to health and wellness and to teaching others as much as I possibly could. I was inspired to help prevent other families from experiencing the same helplessness and loss. I am committed to teaching parents effective tools they can use with their children so they can be proactive participants in their children’s health and optimal development.
- As a young adult I experienced the second loss of my life which propelled my career even more. My father Glenn Gelman, who had been my greatest inspiration and biggest fan, passed away suddenly at the young age of 60. The stress of a job he hated, coupled by his broken heart from my brothers passing, had taken its toll on his body. Like too many others, he was overworked, over stressed, and depleted. His passing inspires me daily reminding me the importance of balance in my life. As I observe how easy it is to fall off balance, I am passionate about researching and practicing various tools to help restore balance and sharing what I have learned with those who too are in search of a balanced healthy life.
Who I love to treat:
- Babies, Toddlers and Adolescents: Recurrent Ear Infections, Eczema, Food Allergies and more
- Kiddos Struggling with Autism, ADHD/ADD, Asthma or Allergies
- Mom’s on-the-go: Stressed, Overwhelmed and/or Looking for Optimal Wellness
- Mom's-to-be: Preconception, Prenatal and Postpartum Care
- Infertility Issues: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or Unknown Cause
- The Out of Balanced Professional
- The Health Nut looking to refine and enhance his/her health plans
Things you may not know about me:
- I lived in Costa Rica on an organic farm where I took a permaculture class for 3 months. Growing up in the suburban town of Orange County I was hungry to get closer to nature and learn how our food grows, sustainable living practices, yoga and more! I returned transformed. Bonus fact: I even shaved my head as a way to start anew!
- I have traveled the world taking cooking classes and studying the various health practices of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, India, Nepal, Israel, Turkey, and more. And I always travelled alone! It pushed me in ways I couldn’t grow otherwise.
- I completed a 10-day silent meditation retreat.
- I’ve experimented with dozens of diets throughout my life from raw vegan, vegetarian, macrobiotic, paleo, weston price, and many more. With that experience I have created our Nourish Balanced Meal Plan that I am proud to teach my patients.
- I love taking transformational personal development courses such as Landmark, MITT, and PAX. I am a student for life and will never stop personal development education.
- I LOVE teaching, empowering and sharing the tools I know with others. It fulfills me like nothing else! I founded my first workshop series called Being a Balanced Superwoman and plan to continue creating more curriculum to help busy women and men restore balance in their day to day lives. In addition to leading courses on balance, my most recent goals are to create and lead courses to moms and dads so they can be proactive participants in their children’s health and optimal development. Education and empowering others is my ultimate life’s work.
- I have an adoring husband “the fitness expert”, Anthony Roumell, a daughter, Aviva Dahlia, and a rescue dog, Murray, named after my father Glenn “Murray” Gelman who continues to help heal my heart from the loss of my loving father. I owe my success to my family and friends, without which I would not be the woman I am today and be able to help others.