Dr. Starr Ramson,
*Each Nourish Medical Center associate provider is an independent contractor working collaboratively to provide complete wellness care for our patients.
Credentials, Education and Achievements:
- Member of California Naturopathic Doctor’s Association
- Licensed by the State of California Naturopathic Medicine Committee
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine, Summa Cum Laude from The University of Bridgeport, College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Recipient of Clinical Excellence Award and achieved highest academic standing
- Doctoral Thesis, University of Bridgeport: The pathophysiology of appetite dysregulation and therapeutic strategies to influence satiety
- Advanced training in classical homeopathy from The New England School of Homeopathy
- Advanced externship study in naturopathic gastroenterology, functional medicine and pediatrics
- Clinical intern and founding UB board member of Naturopathic Medicine for Global Health, Panajachel, Guatemala
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Food Science, Summa Cum Laude from The University of Vermont
Why I became a doctor:
- I grew up with a family health food and smoothie business. Cooking was my passion and for as long as I can remember; I was to become a personal chef to help people achieve health through food.
- As a culinary student, I was awarded scholarship to study under chefs at a health and wellness spa in Europe. The spa offered natural medicine, hydrotherapy and was built around a hot spring. Here, my spirit was awoken by a new world of wellness that extended far beyond food. I was called to dive deeper into health…to healing.
- I returned home to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Nutrition at the University of Vermont. There, I discovered my passion for biochemistry and the ability of the human body to adapt to all kinds of stressors. I spent a year after my undergraduate studies apprenticing at a chronic pain practice. I was astounded by the co-morbidity of facial pain with depression, anxiety and history of abuse. I learned that genetics and environmental triggers must be considered in chronic pain and that treating the pain was only effective when we treated the whole person.
- You are a unique being, like no other. Your genetics, nutritional, emotional, structural and biochemical parts all interact to manifest something much more complex than just the sum of your parts. Your vitality, which I like to think of as the pattern of responses that keep your body in balance, is equally spiritual as it is physical. Naturopathic medicine gives me the tools to see your whole story and to work with you to help you feel whole once again.
What conditions I love to treat:
- Gut issues
- Depression and anxiety
- Thyroid and adrenal conditions
- Female hormone imbalance
- Pediatric concerns
- Metabolic syndrome & emotional eating
Things you may not know about me:
- I was a sushi chef for 5 years
- I am a Vermonter, my absolute favorite thing to do is dive into ice cold waterfalls
- I love to surf and one day will be good at it
- I love a good twirl and bluegrass is my favorite music to dance to
- I adore all animals and especially my 10 year old chocolate lab Maya
- My husband Sam taught me how to drive, yes this means I married my best friend from childhood
- I used to play guitar and sing, would LOVE to pick it up again
- I am a visual learner, I illustrated an entire book while studying for the medical boards and I still use it to this day
- I delivered four babies in an emergency room in Guatemala when the resident OBGYN was unavailable
To learn more about Dr. Starr, check out her personal blog! www.emergenaturally.wordpress.com