Dr. Starr Ramson,
*Each Nourish Medical Center associate provider is an independent contractor working collaboratively to provide complete wellness care for our patients.
Credentials, Education and Achievements:
- Member of California Naturopathic Doctor’s Association
- Licensed by the State of California Naturopathic Medicine Committee
- Doctorate in Naturopathic Medicine, Summa Cum Laude from The University of Bridgeport, College of Naturopathic Medicine
- Recipient of Clinical Excellence Award and achieved highest academic standing
- Doctoral Thesis, University of Bridgeport: The pathophysiology of appetite dysregulation and therapeutic strategies to influence satiety
- Advanced training in classical homeopathy from The New England School of Homeopathy
- Advanced externship study in naturopathic gastroenterology, functional medicine and pediatrics
- Clinical intern and founding UB board member of Naturopathic Medicine for Global Health, Panajachel, Guatemala
- Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Food Science, Summa Cum Laude from The University of Vermont
Why I became a doctor:
- I grew up with a family health food and smoothie business. Cooking was my passion and for as long as I can remember; I was to become a personal chef to help people achieve health through food.
- As a culinary student, I was awarded scholarship to study under chefs at a health and wellness spa in Europe. The spa offered natural medicine, hydrotherapy and was built around a hot spring. Here, my spirit was awoken by a new world of wellness that extended far beyond food. I was called to dive deeper into health…to healing.
- I returned home to pursue a bachelor’s degree in Nutrition at the University of Vermont. There, I discovered my passion for biochemistry and the ability of the human body to adapt to all kinds of stressors. I spent a year after my undergraduate studies apprenticing at a chronic pain practice. I was astounded by the co-morbidity of facial pain with depression, anxiety and history of abuse. I learned that genetics and environmental triggers must be considered in chronic pain and that treating the pain was only effective when we treated the whole person.
- You are a unique being, like no other. Your genetics, nutritional, emotional, structural and biochemical parts all interact to manifest something much more complex than just the sum of your parts. Your vitality, which I like to think of as the pattern of responses that keep your body in balance, is equally spiritual as it is physical. Naturopathic medicine gives me the tools to see your whole story and to work with you to help you feel whole once again.
What conditions I love to treat:
- Gut issues
- Depression and anxiety
- Thyroid and adrenal conditions
- Female hormone imbalance
- Pediatric concerns
- Metabolic syndrome & emotional eating
Things you may not know about me:
- I was a sushi chef for 5 years
- I am a Vermonter, my absolute favorite thing to do is dive into ice cold waterfalls
- I love to surf and one day will be good at it
- I love a good twirl and bluegrass is my favorite music to dance to
- I adore all animals and especially my 10 year old chocolate lab Maya
- My husband Sam taught me how to drive, yes this means I married my best friend from childhood
- I used to play guitar and sing, would LOVE to pick it up again
- I am a visual learner, I illustrated an entire book while studying for the medical boards and I still use it to this day
- I delivered four babies in an emergency room in Guatemala when the resident OBGYN was unavailable
To learn more about Dr. Starr, check out her personal blog! www.emergenaturally.wordpress.com
I am so very happy that I found Dr. Ramson and Nourish Medical Center. Everyone there is very warm and welcoming including the front desk and Grant the lab technician who I have seen several times. Shout out to Grant for making blood draws quick and painless, and for helping me sort out my insurance questions. I had been struggling for some time with a lot of strange, complicated symptoms that included extreme fatigue, dizziness, heart palpitations and tachycardia, anxiety and panic attacks, weird throat sensations/cramping, hair shedding, digestive issues, muscle pains, numb/tingling hands and feet and more. I landed in Urgent Care and the ER on several occasions but surprise surprise, no one could give me any answers. As a mom of 4 and a small business owner, I can't tell you how extremely distressing it is to not be able to take care of your children or even get out of bed. I lived in fear every day. I have always been holistic minded and taken care of myself and researched everything but I knew I was in over my head and needed help, and that a trip to Sprouts wasn't going to cut it. I knew I needed a whole body, integrative doctor to look at the whole picture and so I started looking for Naturopaths/Holistic Doctors. I found Nourish and I met Dr. Ramson. I immediately felt at peace in her presence and knew for a fact that we were going to figure this thing out. She has such a compassionate, gentle and kind spirit and really listened to me and made meticulous notes on every single symptom I had been experiencing. And I threw a lot at her. We decided to do a ton of testing and it gave us so many answers. I did end up with a diagnosis which is treatable, and in Dr. Ramson's view is also reversible. Everything I had been experiencing was connected. She gave me a detailed course of action that I am following that includes significant diet and lifestyle changes, and thyroid medication. I was extremely hesitant to take a prescription medicine but after doing my research and talking to Dr. Ramson I understood that my body really needed it, and I felt comforted that it was a more natural thyroid medicine, and different from what I might have been prescribed by a typical MD. It took years for this condition to develop and I realized my body desperately needed help to begin to heal. It's been a few months and I have to say that I feel SO MUCH BETTER! Every symptom I was having is either significantly better or is gone completely. But I am doing the work. It isn't always easy, but it's my health and I will do whatever it takes. The most important thing is that the numbers don't lie- my latest labs show all my numbers going in the right direction! Had I gone to a traditional medical doctor I know I would have just been given conventional thyroid medicine and told to take it for life and that my condition is permanent. I know I have a ways to go but I feel very confident that I am in the best hands at Nourish Medical Center and I know that Dr. Ramson will guide me through every step of the way. I cannot recommend this place highly enough! Thank you Dr. Ramson for all that you and your staff do. I have told you before that I know it must not be easy practicing medicine in the way that you do, it is in conflict with the standard medical model. But I want to tell you that there are people like me out there who desperately need you to keep doing what you do. It's such important work and you must know how much it is valued and admired. Thank you so much.Kathryn S.
I highly recommend Dr. Starr Ramson! I have seen many physicians and nobody else was willing to take the time needed to find out what's wrong with me! Not to mention, my symptoms were dismissed and misdiagnosed often, told I was simply depressed and prescribed harmful medications that would have changed me forever. I was suffering everyday until I met Dr. Starr! Today, I have renewed hope for a better life. She identified the root cause of my condition and has successfully treated me for multiple issues. I have never met any doctor who is so knowledgeable & passionate about her career. On top of everything, she is genuinely kind and patient. Thank you Dr. Starr, you are truly amazing!
I feel so lucky to have found Nourish and Dr. Starr Ramson! This December I will have been under the care of Dr. Starr for almost 2 years. She is a wealth of knowledge and is always willing to go the extra mile for her patients. She has spent hours and hours of her time researching the best supplements and treatments for my various health concerns over the years. Dr. Starr has helped me eliminate candida overgrowth in my body as well as balance my hormones. Sorry, this might be TMI but I always have to keep it real. I had serious PMS with extremely heavy periods lasting 7 days...as well as major breast tenderness that would begin at least 2 weeks before menstruation. I was also very anemic because of the amount of blood I would lose every month. Imagine being miserable for 2 to 3 weeks out of EVERY month?! After some testing and about 3 months of taking the recommended supplements I was a different woman! My periods now last 3-4 days and the hemorrhaging is so much lighter than what it used to be. I also no longer have breast tenderness! So balancing my hormones has helped in more ways than one. Dr. Starr and I are now currently working on my energy levels and weight struggles (i.e. my adrenal glands and thyroid). Please keep in mind that alternative medicine isn't a quick fix...so don't expect immediate results. Getting to the root of your health issues takes time, but it is SO worth it. I've had so many "ah ha!" moments on this health journey with Dr. Starr and I'm very grateful that the universe led me to her as she is an amazing ND and has changed my life for the better.
I don't know why it has taken me so long to write a review but better late than never.So I had been having stomach problems for about two years. Every doctor that I went to just said the standard, give up dairy and bread, do paleo, take some probiotics. All without knowing the problem or even pretending to think about the cause. I was so frustrated but eventually decided to give it one more try and maybe I had just been looking in the wrong place. I started looking for a Naturopath, which to be honest I didn't know much about so I am so glad I followed through with it. I came in to see Dr. Ramson. Wow, she is a beautiful soul and amazing doctor in one. She actually tried to look for the problem before spitting out solutions, she cares about you as a person and not going to lie after a couple visits I think I would come in for a consult just to talk to her for an hour haha. Well back to my stomach problems. Through our time together we found that i had SIBO. We did a treatment and while I don't know just yet if I am SIBO free, I am doing so much better. I have way more "normal life" moments now that SIBO had taken from me. Not only that but she has helped me feel more in control of my overall health.I am leaving San Diego and so sad that I can't take Dr. Ramson with me. I hope I can find another doctor that compares to her.